Saturday, January 7, 2012

Failure and Embarrassment.

Well, another day of new adventures. Again, I get a call from Daddy, saying he messed the bed, his clothes and obviously himself. This is the 4th time in about a week, we have had this issue. I got the bed cleaned up, and the bedding in the washer. The clothes, were the second load. I got him cleaned up, and dressed, and changed the bandages on his arm, and leg.

Hospice brought him some pull ups. He has big issues with these. I am not sure if it is generational, or just him, but what an issue that is.  I think I convinced him today, that it is important to wear these at night only. That way, if he loses control, and doesn't know it, most of the mess is inside the pull up, versus all over the bed, him and his night clothes. I don't mind cleaning this up, but it is a chore, that is preventable in a very easy way.

Such a simple thing to me, such an issue for him. He is embarrassed, humiliated, and upset that he is losing this control. I don't think he is embarrassed for me to have to clean him up, but he may be, that is hard to say. I went to nursing school, and worked in a clinic for years, and this sort of thing doesn't bother me one bit. But, day after day of it is getting a little bit old. All he has to do is wear that pull up at night. Again, such a simple thing to me, such an issue for him.

Hopefully I impressed upon him, that this is a simple fix, and an easy fix, and nothing to be embarrassed about. Lord have mercy, I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment